How Didier Drogba inspired me at Chelsea – Diego Costa

How Didier Drogba inspired me at Chelsea – Diego Costa


Chelsea FC striker, Diego Costa, has hailed the club’s Legend Didier Drogba, for inspiring his goalscoring exploits with the Premier League leaders.

Drogba returned to Stamford Bridge for one season to play with Costa during his first season in England, who scored 20 goals as the Blues won the title two years ago.

“I have always seen Drogba as the example to follow in terms of a centre-forward,” Costa said.
“He was strong and scored loads of goals and he was a quality player.

“Just watching him train helped me. Just seeing him, I was amazed. This is because — and I’m not making this up at all — I specifically used to
watch Chelsea [before he joined], who are obviously a big club, just to 
see Drogba.

“He was famous and everyone would talk about him. I even liked watching him when he played for the Ivory Coast.

“When I arrived here, he was never cold with me, quite the opposite. I wasn’t exactly scared of him, but he was such a legend who had helped the club grow and been a part of all that.

“He made history here, so could have been dismissive of me but, no, he was always fantastic with me. I will always have fond memories of him and whenever I see him, I thank him. It’s not always easy for someone with so much history to be in that position.

“I was playing well, scoring goals, and he would support and motivate me, whereas others might not have done the same. I take my hat off to
him.”
Costa has also revealed how he got his street-fighter nature from his growing up.
He said: “Perhaps you could say it comes from when I used to play in the streets [back in Brazil], playing alongside my brother and cousins.

“I always wanted to win. Everyone has a bit of that in them, but I have even more of a will to win.
Sometimes I might go overboard, whereas there are others who, yes, they want to win, but if they don’t it’s no big deal for them.

“I’m different. I want to win and always have done since I was small. I don’t know if it’s in my blood or just my personality.”

Comments

Popular Posts